- Exploring Top 9 Contemporary Art Styles and Their Characteristics
- Oct 14, 2020
by Virtosu Art GalleryOct 14, 2020
Exploring Top 9 Contemporary Art Styles and Their Characteristics
1. Abstract ArtAbstract art originates from unnatural objects, such as geometric patterns, shapes, and formats. This type of art is based on landscapes and figures and depicts simplicity, spirituality, and purity. Abstract art is all about colors, lines, textures, patterns, compositions, and processes. This is why abstract art is known as nonobjective art or concrete art that usually embraces non-representational work. It has been more than a century abstract art is here to inspire viewers. One of the best things about abstract art is that it is open to interpret; all you need to have an open, curious mind that is willing to explore the artwork.
2. Figurative ArtFigurative art describes modern art that genuinely depicts the real-world issue by using the human figure. This art type's ultimate goal is to provide a realistic representation of life by using illusionary characteristics. In the contemporary art world, this art style can also be used with other art types such as minimalist, cubist, and abstract art to create masterpieces. Nowadays, figurative art representing human figures or animals is commonly used to differentiate between representational work and abstract art. Famous artists have been using figurative art from centuries in their artwork to portray intellectual concepts. Some used to represent a real-world subject, while other artists used to highlight the cultural values in the form of sculptures, paintings, and portraits.
3. Geometric ArtAs the name suggests, geometric art represents different shapes, angles, lines, points, and elements, totally inspired by geometry. This contemporary art style uses a wide array of geometric shapes, such as circle, square, triangle, and rectangles to make complex shapes and objects. Geometric art designs come in different types, sizes, and shapes.
4. Minimalist ArtMinimalism is a type of abstract art that uses different geometric shapes, such as square, rectangle. The main idea behind using this type of art is used to depict reality without any imitation. It represents different aspects of the real world, such as landscapes, persons, experiences, emotions, and feelings. Minimalist artwork depicts a highly purified form of beauty, simplicity, truth, and harmony.
5. Still Life ArtStill, Life art is one of the essential types of Western art that represents still life paintings and dead sculptures. This type of artwork includes nearly all types of human-made or natural objects, such as fruits, vegetables, food, games, and other inanimate objects. In contemporary art, still life art is used to depict the celebration of material pleasures and remind viewers about the brevity of human life.
6. TypographyTypography is a contemporary art style that uses existing and modern typefaces to arrange text and appropriately convey the message—basically, typeface design letters of alphabets that express specific techniques, feelings, and brand identity. Typography art is one of the most important aspects of the contemporary art design used in the print and web design industry.
7. Pop ArtPop art is one of the most famous artistic developments that emerged in reaction to commercial cultures, mass media, and consumerism. In this type of artwork, artists use commonplace objects, newspapers, comic strips, bottle cans, road signs, and other popular commercial world items to convey their message. Artists are allowed to incorporate names, logo designs, and images of celebrities into their artwork. Artists have complete freedom to take inspiration from any source or object. Viewers can easily recognize pop art due to its unique characteristics that are usually present in many iconic art movements. Vibrant, bright colors are generally used in pop artwork. Artists can use the element of humor and irony to convey the message. Many pop artists are making the most out of printmaking to replicate images in a bulk quantity. Modern-day artists use a variety of materials and different types of media to represent their work.
8. Surrealist ArtSurrealism is an artistic and philosophical movement that was flourished in Europe between World War I and II. Surrealist art mainly focuses on exploring irrational and subconscious notions. Surrealist artists enjoy experimenting with different languages and objects to convey their internalized thoughts. Surrealist art usually portrays incredible graphics and proactive imagery.
9. Sculpture ArtSculpture art is a three-dimensional art made by four basic processes: carving, modeling, casting, and constructing. Carving is a sculptural technique that uses different tools to create a shape by cutting a solid material such as wood or stone. In the process of casting, artists have to make a mold and then pour a liquid material. In the modeling phase, artists build-up shapes by using soft material, such as clay or wax. The last step of constructing and assembling involves bending, folding, stitching, welding, weaving, and other techniques to build sculptures. These techniques are used to create sculptures of a different variety of objects and materials.
About author Muneeb Qadar Siddiqui is a digital marketing expert from a custom software development company in Dallas. He has helped improve their digital marketing skills and has also helped many learn about custom software development.